- Application Methods
- Up to 16sq/m per litre
- VOC level
- Not Recommended
- 12-24 hours
- Brush cleaner or White spirit
Johnstones Trade Classic Matt Woodstain Matt Ebony (Ready Mixed) is available in 1 colours from the Johnstones Trade Colour Cards.
Always ask your client to try their colour choice on the wall first. Colour cards and emulsion sample pots are available at your local Brewers or at designerpaint.com
Ensure all surfaces to be stained are sound, clean, dry and free from dust, grease, polish or any other surface contaminant.
Treat any mould or lichen with Sterilisation Wash as directed.
Remove any flaking or cracked varnish and fill any cracks or joints with filler.
Sound, existing varnish should be rubbed down with fine waterproof abrasive paper, rinsed thoroughly and allowed to dry.
Previously painted wood should have all traces of previous treatments removed using a paint and varnish stripper.
Avoid the inhalation of dust. Wear a suitable face mask if dry sanding.
Special precaution should be taken during surface preparation of pre 1960s paint surfaces over wood and metal as they may contain harmful lead.
- Stir thoroughly before use.
- Apply two or more coats of varnish evenly, by good quality brush along the wood grain as required, paying particular attention to the end grain.
- New untreated softwood should first be treated with a suitable clear preserver.
- On bare or new wood, apply at least two coats of matt woodstain to give maximum durability.
- Sand down lightly between coats.
Note: The final colour will depend on the original colour of the wood and the number of coats applied.
Remove as much product as possible from brushes before cleaning.
Clean brushes immediately after use with White Spirit or Turpentine Substitute. Replace lid firmly.
Do not empty product into drains or watercourses.