The Old Lighthouse in Dungeness is a Historic Grade 2 building, listed in 1992 by Shepway District Council, and it celebrated its centenary at the same time as another famous business!
Brewers Decorator Centres and Murfill have given Dungeness Lighthouse a new lease of life.
Opened with a great ceremony by His Royal Majesty the Prince of Wales in 1904 after a 3 year build, it survived two world wars before being decommissioned in 1960. For 56 years it provided a welcome land light to vessels negotiating the perils of the English Channel.
Today it is a visitor attraction, so they are keen to keep it in tip top condition but a building that is almost 46 metres high, 11 metres in diameter and constructed of engineering bricks with sandstone inner walls requires special care.
So the specification was to patch any cracks using Murfill WP and Murfill Fleece, two coats of Murfill Water Proof in grey to obtain a total dry film thickness of 140μm, followed by two full coats of Murfill Renovation in black – to a dry film thickness of 70μm.
The products were applied by Sussex Rope Access, having been ordered through Hove branch and mixed at Maidenhead – from one hundred year old business to another.