Problem Solver - Softwood
Softwood are fast grown timbers which can often be used in construction. They may often have several knots which are resinous and if left unsealed can bleed through paintwork leaving unsightly marks.
Stage 1 - Preparation
Using a hot air gun, remove as much excess resin as possible.
Bird Brand Methylated Spirit 500ML
- For thinning and cleaning of compatible products. Ideal for use with shellac-based primers, coatings and finishes.
Using a cloth, apply Methylated spirits to the knot and surrounding area to de-grease and remove any residue.
Abrade with 100 grit abrasive paper to remove any loose or flaking areas and to create a key
Flexovit Glasspaper Sheet Grade F2
- F2 - very fine hand sanding sheets, ideal for general purpose applications.
If surface requires filling where repairs have been carried out use a two- part filler suitable for timber
Treat the knot with a knotting solution – using a brush, apply a thin coat, proud of the surface. Once dry, apply a 2nd coat.
Mylands Patent Knotting 250ML
- Fast drying shellac sealer for knots in resinous timbers. Seals affected areas prior to painting. Prevents long term discolouration. Dries to a pale brown colour.
Stage 2 - Basecoat
Apply a suitable wood primer
Apply an appropriate undercoat
Albany Undercoat White 1L
- Excellent covering power, finish for interior and exterior use on wood and metal. Perfect for new work and redecoration.
Stage 3 - Topcoat
Apply an appropriate topcoat and allow to dry, followed by a 2nd coat to finish.
Albany Gloss Brilliant White 1L
- Oil based, high opacity, gloss finish for interior and exterior woodwork & metalwork