Problem Solver - Treating knots
Knots are resinous areas in timber, that left unsealed can bleed through paintwork leaving unsightly marks.
Stage 1 - Preparation
Using a cloth, apply Methylated spirits to the knot and surrounding area to degrease and remove any residue.
Bird Brand Methylated Spirit 500ML
- For thinning and cleaning of compatible products. Ideal for use with shellac-based primers, coatings and finishes.
Stage 2 - Basecoat
Treat the knot with a knotting solution – using a brush, apply a thin coat, proud of the surface. Once dry, apply a 2nd coat.
Mylands Patent Knotting 250ML
- Fast drying shellac sealer for knots in resinous timbers. Seals affected areas prior to painting. Prevents long term discolouration. Dries to a pale brown colour.
Apply a suitable wood primer
Albany Wood Primer White 1L
- Good flow, excellent adhesion, for interior and exterior use
Apply a suitable undercoat
Albany Undercoat White 1L
- Excellent covering power, finish for interior and exterior use on wood and metal. Perfect for new work and redecoration.
Stage 3 - Topcoat
Apply a suitable topcoat
Albany Gloss Brilliant White 1L
- Oil based, high opacity, gloss finish for interior and exterior woodwork & metalwork